One of the main issues I help people with is prioritizing in business and every day life. It is easy to get caught up in the to-do lists and thoughts swirling in our heads. Knowing how to prioritize can create a more effective approach to work and life. With a prioritized plan, time is used more effectively and frees up unnecessary time saps.
Organization is an art and can be learned by implementing a few steps. Look at your current process and implement things from the steps below if they will help you become more efficient.
Here are a few tips on getting things done:
- Write down everything that you have to do (or thinking of doing). Use a white board, paper or fill a notebook. Just get it out of your head and onto paper.
- Go down your list and prioritize using 1,2,3 or A,B,C or even colors if that is more useful. 1/A being the most important and time sensitive. Are there things that you can delegate or eliminate?
- Create a timeline (day, week, month, quarter, year) and list tasks accordingly.
- Enter the tasks in your calendar. Add alerts if needed. When its on the schedule, it becomes concrete and is more likely to be completed.
- Stop multi-tasking. This is not an effective or efficient way to get things done. Pay attention to the task at hand and then move down the list.
Creating a well prioritized plan will create more order. Revisit your plan at the beginning of the week/month/quarter and revise accordingly. Life is fluid and ever-changing and plans should evolve accordingly. When we stay on top of our tasks and prioritize, we can make sure that our tasks are completed in a timely and organized matter. A good plan will make sure everything gets done and can eliminate some of the unnecessary tasks.
“Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least”
If you would like help with prioritizing, organizing or creating a plan, I would love to help. Send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and let’s get the organization party started!